Abbbaye Saint Pierre of Preuilly on Claise Enregistrer au format PDF

Dimanche 19 février 2017 — Dernier ajout mardi 21 février 2017
0 vote

Rebuilt toward 1130, the Saint Peter church was restored in the XVe century, in 1846, 1872-74 and 1932. She/it consists of a nave accompanied by two collaterals of which the southern is narrower than the other, a transept of which every croisillon is accompanied with an absidiole preceded of two right bays, a ch.ur and an apse surrounded with an ambulatory of where radiated three absidioles of which the one of only axis subsisted.

On the outside the interest first carries itself on the western facade absorbed by a high gable. To the bottom part, forming base, open up the door in full hanger to two rollers, of which the first falls again on the marquees, decorated on the left with interlacing and of ludicrous faces on the right, of two colonnettes encircled to the tour. To the first floor, a large median window in full bent is accompanied of every side by an arcature of two hoops falling again on a high and elegant colonnette. On the flanks a smaller window, whose left is condemned, corresponds to each of the collaterals.

The second floor is formed of a blind arcature falling again on colonnettes and that develops himself on the whole width of the facade. A geminate window dominates this gallery. He/it is to note that the gable was exhaussé in a posterior resumption to the construction of the building and that primitively, the sides of the roof formed a less sharp angle.

The walls goutterots of the nave are sustained by enormous struts brought up to the xve century, of which one, to the noon, carry a blazon paints, furnished of three clovers on field of muzzles that is the one of the Gallifets. They are decorated above the windows of a blind arcature that also meet to the apse. The whole bedhead was the object of a more inspired total repairing of the imitation of churches of the same type that by the worry of the restitution of the previous state. The modern bell-tower spoils the outside of the abbey-church. Primitively two towers had to flank the church, dominant each an arm of the transept.

The only north tower was finished. But she/it collapsed in 1867 when one demolishes, to clear it, of the buildings that stumbled her. She/it was rebuilt in 1873 and crowned of a polychrome roof of the most deplorable effect.

Inside, the nave has five bays. The lines of the batteries are not rigorously parallel and the last two right batteries are separated one of the another one more that those that face them left. These pillars, squared in the mass, are confined of four committed colonnettes, of which two are going to support the doubleaux of the arches. The marquees are decorated with variety of foliages, characters and fantastic faces. The arch is a cradle in full hanger and determine an enormous thrust that rejected the defensive walls out of the vertical, and required, to the xv century, the construction of the big struts.

The collateral naves are covered with half-cradles sustained by doubleaux in broken bow in the first three bays, in full hanger at two following, extradossés of a wall diaphragm. To the west wall of the collateral south and on the stock of the committed column supporting the first arcade, one sees the rests of one manorial liter with a double blazon of which the one of left door : « Of muzzles to the rafter of money accompanied by three gold clovers », that is of Gallifet.

The axis of the transept is not perpendicular to the one of the nave. The crossing is arched of a dome on pendants ren-forced by eight branches of ogives and has been redone in 1932. The two croisillons is covered with a cradle in full hanger and ends by a bay forming chapel. Bound to the actual transept, the one of the north by two arcades, the one of the noon by one only, these two terminal chapels are surmounted of a tribune. They continue one and the other to the East and are finished on this side by an absidiole that is one modern reconstitution.

The chapel of the north is placed under the name of Mélaine saint. The ch.ur is also he unbalanced in relation to the nave and tilt northbound. He/it is composed of a bay arched of a cradle in full hanger and end by the apse semi circular arched in ass-of-oven. Five arcades, falling again on cylindrical batteries, separate it of the ambulatory that circulates around him. A blind arcature surmounts these arcades, above of which opens up five windows in full hanger.

Three chapels absidales existed primitively. Only the median chapel subsisted. She/it is composed of a bay followed of a semicircular absidiole. One notices of it a statue of the Virgin of the XVIIIe century. The two chapels lateral absidales disappeared at the time of the restoration of the church some 1873.

Under the ch.ur existed a crypt once. The arches of this one collapsed at the time of the bag of 1562 and she/it was filled by debris. In the middle of the XVIIIe century the family of Breteuil made it clear in part to arrange a small vault where several of his/her members are buried there. This vault was ravaged and was stripped of his/her/its lead coffins during the Revolution.